All the News that Matters
in Organic Fresh Produce
OPN Connect Newsletter 343
Q3 Organic Produce Sales, OGS Keynote Announced, Homegrown Organic Farms, Fruit World, Market News, and More...
Leadership from three of the nation's most progressive organic growing operations have been confirmed as panelists for the second of two keynote presentations at the upcoming Organic Grower Summit (OGS) 2023 presented by Western Growers and OPN.
For the second quarter in a row, organic fresh produce grew slightly in year-over-year sales and volume in the third quarter of 2023, according to the Q3 2023 Organic Produce Performance Report issued by Organic Produce Network and Category Partners.
While production is down this season, Fruit World’s year-round organic lemon program is thriving overall. “Lemons have gone from our #3 item to competing to be our #1 item," says Fruit World Co-founder and CEO Bianca Kaprielian.
It is fair to say that there are quite a few options in the domestic organic specialty fruit category this fall, with pomegranates, Asian pears, persimmons, kiwifruit, and cranberries topping the list. But in general, fruit sets were not voluminous this year, so ad pricing may be a bit more difficult to secure.
1. Edible Garden Receives USDA Grant for Organic Certification Costs
2. Meijer Reduces Plastic Packaging in New Partnership with Bolthouse Farms
3. US Specialty Crop Coalition Endorses Legislation Addressing Nutrition, Organics
4. Whole Foods Market Forecasts Top 10 Food Trends for 2024
5. How George Brown's Prestigious Chef School Went Organic