All the News that Matters
in Organic Fresh Produce
OPN Connect Newsletter 25
Family Farming: Generation to Generation
OPN Connect caught up with Kate and her father Mike Hitchcock to talk about their organic farming operations at Mesa Packing, LLC. and American Farms/G&H Farms as the two generations are now working side by side.
The Organic Grower Summit (OGS) has announced Western Growers will serve as the Ag Technology sponsor for this year’s inaugural event. As the Ag Technology sponsor, Western Growers will help coordinate the attendance of technology companies as exhibitors, and help facilitate elements of the technology area at the event.
It is a very difficult proposition to grow organic garlic, according to Bill Christopher, CEO of Christopher Ranch, Gilroy, CA. “You get half the yield and it is twice as expensive to grow.”
By Melody Meyer
The National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) held a first of its kind conference call on Monday August 14th where the crops committee discussed their draft proposals on organic production in containers, hydroponics, aquaponics and aeroponics. This full board discussion was intended to help shape what the Crops Subcommittee proposes for the NOSB meeting this fall in Jacksonville, Florida. Although no voting occurred but there was a hearty round of discussion between the board members.
- Josie's Organics Adds Belgian Style Leeks to Organic Line
- Decline of America's Share of Global Organics Market Forecast
- US Federal Reserve Highlights Economic Benefits of Organic Agriculture
- CCOF-Certified Farmers and CCOF Staff Present at Two Farm Bill Listening Sessions
- Twenty-Six Percent of U.S. Consumers Trust Organic Food Labels